First, one must fully understand what test anxiety is?
This type of anxiety is a type of performance anxiety. When a person feels they are in a situation where everything matters and they are put under so much pressure to perform well. Everyone feels anxious when it comes to writing exams or
tests, as you don’t want to fail at the task at hand. Especially students feel this immense pressure when it comes to tests because the amount of pressure that’s being put on them by their parents to do well. The pressure of that much need approval, the need to make your parents proud becomes so much that you end up super stressed and the anxiety takes over.
Anxiety affects one’s mind when a person undergoes a stressful situation and the body releases adrenaline which is like the bodies alarm system it warms the body and starts to prepare the body that some danger is approaching. Our negative thoughts also fuel a person’s anxiety, like if they thinking that they might not perform well in their tests or exams. Thoughts like this are not good as it disturbs the mental space of an individual. The more an individual is negative the more it adds to them becoming more anxious. All individuals who aren’t well prepared for their tests become anxious.
The most common barrier to success encountered by students is the lack of effective techniques for study and exam preparation.
How to resolve test anxiety?
- Firstly, note to resolve test anxiety the individual must be an active learner not a passive one. Familiarise yourself with the work you need to study on and gather information needed to aid you to understand what you are learning for.
- Never wait until the night before an exam or test to study. One should always be regularly reviewing their notes.
- Always ask for help, it is vital that is the only way you can fully understand things you having difficulty with, never procrastinate.
- Preparation is to read through all notes a couple of times and when doing this it’s good to highlight major topics and subtopics, with a goal of generation and outline of the notes you studying.
- Try to underline specific terms that you want to remember better.
- Accept mistakes. One must learn to tolerate an error in their ways. When you begin to understand that everyone makes mistakes and nobody is perfect you will grow to be more understanding of how life is. You will learn to control yourself from being anxious.
- Always put yourself first and take care of yourself. Learn to control your thoughts and actions do some yoga or try some breathing exercises. Breathing exercises helps the body to relax and it’s a form of combating your anxiety.
There we go. Try those 7 steps before going into your next exam and I promise you, you will feel a lot more relaxed and confident.